Western Sydney Stadium
The new Western Sydney Stadium is part of the $1.6 billion stadia strategy to improve sporting infrastructure across the state. The new Western Sydney Stadium will:
- be able to cater for bigger crowds, provide an improved game day experience and bring major benefits to the Western Sydney economy
- generate approximately 1,200 jobs during construction and between 600 and 900 jobs once operational for sporting event days and major events
- cater for a range of sporting and community uses within the precinct.
The new Western Sydney Stadium will be used for a range of sports including rugby league, football, rugby union and a range of other events such as concerts, markets and fairs. The new Western Sydney Stadium will have:
- comfortable seating for 30,000 people and high-quality food and beverage facilities
- five levels of premium, corporate and function spaces big screens, advanced technology including wifi and broadcast facilities
- improved security and administration along with improved pedestrian and public plazas areas and landscaping around the stadium.
Planning approval has been granted for stage one of the new stadium which includes the concept design for the new stadium and demolition of the existing Pirtek Stadium. The determination and conditions of approval can be viewed here.
Lendlease has been awarded to the contract to design and construct the new stadium. Demolition of the old stadium and Parramatta War Memorial Pool is expected to start in March 2017. We will keep the community updated on the start of work.http://www.infrastructure.nsw.gov.au/projects-nsw/western-sydney-stadium.aspx
Lendlease will be responsible for submitting a planning application for stage two, which includes detailed design of the stadium and surrounds as well as construction and operation of the new stadium.
The community and stakeholders will again be invited to give feedback to stage two planning application during the public exhibition which is anticipated to be mid-2017.
Construction of the new Stadium will commence following demolition and receipt of stage two planning approval.
The Environmental Impact Statement for Stage one (concept proposal and stage one demolition works) was on public exhibition from 21 July to 19 August 2016. A Preferred Project Report has been prepared which addresses all the submissions received. The report can be viewed here.
Site establishment work was completed in January 2017. Demolition of the stadium has started and will take about six months to complete. It will be carried out in four stages:
- Stage one - Soft strip out of the existing stadium including the removal of old furnishings, internal walls and equipment
- Stage two - Demolition of the north and west stands
- Stage three - Demolition of the southern stand
- Stage four - Removal of the swimming centre for earthworks and piling to start.
Our working hours will be from:
- 7am to 6pm, Monday to Friday
- 8am to 1pm on Saturdays
Respite periods will be in place during the demolition work to minimise noise impacts on the local community.
Construction of the new stadium is expected to start in late 2017, subject to planning approvals.
Find out more
A range of information about the key issues addressed in the Environmental Impact Statement is available.
February 2017 Project update - Start of demolition work
January 2017 Project update - Site establishment
About the new Western Sydney Stadium
Planning Process and Concept Plan
Stadium access and transport
If you have an enquiry or comment about the project, please contact us.
Phone: (02) 8016 0100